Friday, March 18, 2011

Visitation

I haven't seen my cousin Blair for a longgggg time.  Upwards of 10 years, maybe longer.  So I was so thrilled when his lovely wife Sue contacted me through facebook and asked if we would like a visit!

Last Friday they arrived at Seatac and they stayed for 4 days, it was so great to catch up with them both.  I took a million pictures, but I really tried to not be in their face like i usually would be with the rest of you.  I think its a bit overwhelming at the best of times, but when you haven't had the "pleasure of my company" for a while it would be just plain weird.

Friday night was fun.  Mr Big and I went straight from work down to the airport to pick them up.  Only trouble was
A.  I didn't have Sue or Blairs phone number
B. We didn't have a pre arranged meeting spottage
C. Seatac Airport has a bazillion possible arrival ports......
so I decided to wait by their baggage carousel instead.  I felt bad, it wasn't really a welcome.  It would have been better to run at them arms outstretched singing their name as they came out of the arrival gate...but again, that would have been weird (for them, not for me, that's the typical way I greet visitors).  Luckily they found me first.  We had planned to go to the Highway 99 Blues Club but the club pushed their show from 9pm to 8pm and decided everyone had to be "seated" 30 minutes prior to the rockabilly show starting.  BOOOOOOO to you.  Not knowing the cousins so well we decided to leave the choice du jour to them.  We ended up starting by driving to Kerry Park and looking at a perfect Seattle View:

(Photo courtesy of http://www.stacymunn.com/) I don't take good night photos

Then we headed up to Capitol Hill for dinner and frosty adult beverages at Cucina Cantina, coincidentally the first restaurant Mr Big took me too when we first met.  By the time we finished up there it was time to head to Everett town and bed.


Next day started with rain.  Because everyone has this expectation that it rains constantly in Seattle the cousins weren't surprised by it at all but I was bummed because it doesn't rain here all the time.  Nevertheless we were brave souls and headed out into it PLUS as an added bonus Tadpole joined us.

First stop Bubblegum Wall in Post Alley


thanks to Tadpole we were all chomping liniment flavored gum AKA Artic Ice



Miss Sue was grossed out with the overwhelming sweet smell of saliva and hubba bubba...I have to agree, its pretty disgusting and yet strangely alluring...


time for Pike Place Market!


Tadpole found the cutest hat that he totally should have purchased, as you can see, its a piglywigly - what you cant see is the delightful curly tail at the back!


we were famished by the time we walked the market - so next it was Dim Sum at the House of Hong

then it was back up the road so we could enjoy the EMP (Experience Music Project) - who knew, cousin Blair is a guitar player (and really great at it too) - he looked like a total natural playing in the soundbooth


Here is Blair and Sue looking for the Space Needle ...Guy's, you're warm...

Blair outside the fantastic EMP building.  This is a Frank Gehry building.  Frank...I loves ya baby, you did an AWESOME job on this building...though I really don't see a "broken guitar" represented.

Me and Blair.  I know what you are thinking and don't worry - I'm on it, these jeans are not faded in flattering places.


Tadpole, you are sooo cute (see the space needle reflected in the EMP)


After rocking out at the EMP we raced home to down a couple of glasses of wine then it was time for shuffleboard,  beer, hot wings and jello shots at the Corner Tavern in Bow.


they really are the best wings in the world

we had QUITE a lot to drink and sent a drunk picture to our friend Angela while we were waiting for her to join us

I think my teeth look quite nice in this photo.  (PS if you are looking for a nice dentist to go to you really should call Norm http://www.goodwindds.com/ hes a delight (and ask for Fergie as your hygienist)...anyhoo, back to the cousins.  After the Corner there was no other place to go but to the Reservation (casino) and play Cosmic Glow in the Dark Bingo.  Blair got called up for the game show that they play at intermissions and had a dance off ( that boy can shake it, its a family thing) and not surprisingly Blair was awarded money for his prize.

Next day we were up a little later - went to Snoqualmie Falls (freezingly magnificent) saw Sally at the Spa (wow that place is beautiful) and had hot chocolate in the restaurant before heading to Monroe to Eddies Trackside for delicious burgers and a not so fabulous concert from Roger Fisher and Band.  I had had high hopes for this so was a bit sad that it wasn't better - but then it all turned around when a scary dude in a flannel shirt and grey hoodie came in.  He caught mine and Sues eye and we both looked at each other and vulcan mind-melded the message "CREEPER ALERT" - gentleman X was a source of amusement for us for the rest of the evening as we tried to avert eye contact.

I had a half a day off for study and once I had had all I could handle of insurance text books we saddled up for another road trip, this time our destination was fisherman's terminal in the fair city of Ballard.  This is the place where the crab fishing and other commercial fishing boats are, and its also home to Chinooks (good call Carrie) where we enjoyed clam chowder and fried halibut for a late munch.



Just look at this pretty boat



Magnolia is just a short drive from here and...THE SUN CAME OUT - so what prettier place to see the sound right?

this is the view they were looking at


Theo's was just around the corner, and who doesn't like a sweet treat?  Luckily they were still open so we could sample all the goodies.  With a scooch of sunshine hours left we decided to drive down to the Ballard locks.  Sue was so thrilled to see the sun again


with all the rain that we had there was a tonne of water spilling from the lake to the sound - but only one lonely baby fish in the fish ladder.  Sue thought it was a Chinook

Its such a nice spot there and everything was blooming - just look at these love birds


Blair and Sue with the railroad bridge in the background looking up the Puget Sound


and what trip to Seattle is complete WITHOUT a trip so see the troll??


It was so wicked catching up with you guys and getting to know you again.  Thanks for visiting!

3 comments:

  1. Saturday was such a treat! Thanks for sharing the day and the sold out Super Cousin concert! Someday I will own my cute new hat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great photos and fun to share time with cousins !! I discovered you through BGC Blog group !! So glad to meet you !!xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. gorgeous pics, Fiona, and i am exhausted just looking at them. :) Caroline's mom.

    ReplyDelete