Monday, March 14, 2011

Care Package

Yesterday I wasn't having the most stellar of days....I had no sleep the night before, I hadn't showered, the hair was everywhere and I was in my jammas when something awful happened.  There was a knock at the door.  Shiza....do I freeze in spot and keep quiet and hope that the caller goes away?  Or do I scare the crap out of them and answer the door looking like kaka?  I chose to answer the door.  Fortunately there was no one there but I could see the postie skipping down our path on to their next delivery.  I looked down to the front door mat and saw a giant box which I scooped immediately quickly shutting the door to the world.  PACKAGE, for me, from sissy.  OH GLORY friends, I love a package...and to get it from NZ is all the more fantabulous.  I unpacked it and look what I got


Many of these delicacies may seem foreign to you.  That's because they are.  Everything here is kiwi.  The chips are cheese and bacon flavored corn puffs AKA HEAVEN...some of our Jewish friends tried these at one of our Christmas parties a year or so ago and went crazy for them even though they had bacon essence in them.  Curt and Amy, I have a few saved for you!!  Also there is the greatest easter eggies - marshmallow eggs WITH colored yolk.  I shared these with Mr Big of course, friend Tadpole and the super cousins who all enjoyed them greatly - strangely they actually are the perfect accompaniment to a cup of freshly brewed tea.  These are a staple in any kiwi Easter basket.  Also this year a newcomer to NZ Easter is the pineapple lump (pineapple flavored chewy candy covered in milk chocolate) fashioned into a egg.  Unnamed friend...I have to pause at this time and offer an apology.  You know I love you, and I know you love things pineapple (and coconut) and in ordinary situations I would have saved you one.  I remembered this about 5 eggs into my eggfesta....and I had to save one for Mr Big....sooooo sorry HH.

Moving away from the food content there was also a wonderful sand art piece in my favorite interior color (blanco) - this is a rendering of a pohutukawa blossom.  Pohutukawa trees are native to NZ and are gorgeous coastal trees. Here's a picture of some


Pohutukawa and its cousin rata also hold a prominent place in Maori tradition. Legends tell of Tawhaki, a young Maori warrior, who attempted to find heaven to seek help in avenging the death of his father. He fell to earth and the crimson flowers are said to represent his blood.....nice.

Also in the box 'o fabulousness was some NZ smellies.  She topped the whole thing off with a POP UP card (who doesn't love a pop up?) that had a high heel on it, she knows me soooo well.

Everyone should be so lucky to have a sissy like mine.  Thanks Shona!  Here's a picture of us from my last visit home in 2009.


1 comment: