Sunday, October 31, 2010

Sundays Happenings

I woke up with a headache, and that really REALLY should have been the que to simply roll over and go back to dreams, but alas - there was work to be done.  Shiza, I hate work.....still, Project Oakes must charge on and so we find ourselves still working on the stairs.  This time we roped in expert help in the shape and form of Brother Patrick (plus, good fortune was shining on us and my dear neice Miss Makena came along for the ride and the majesty that is plastering)


Brother Pat is an expect drywaller and I think that you have been introduced to him previously as we carolled him into painting the girlies room early last spring.  (Cottage Stone, its a beautiful color)...anyhoo, I digress - though Pat is talented in many things he really is an expert drywaller and plasterer.  The stairwell project had to come to a screaming halt before any painting started because there was all manner of scraps and nicks in the plasterwork of the stairwell and this was mostly due to the fact that it is narrow as hell ( in fact, so narrow that you can't get a queen size base to a bed up there but that's a story for another day) and as furniture has been moved up and down it over the last century damage has naturally occured. 

Before we started the real work at hand we chatted for a time about whether a particular wall was load bearing and whether it should come down.  Not sometime in the future friends - oh no, today - see, when brother and tools and a projay get together this is EXACTLY the sort of thing that happens.  My contribution to this discussion was rapid shaking of my head and runaway bride eyes at Mr Big...fortunatly he got the picture and the wall is still standing, for now.  Pat checked in again "are you sure - I have the sawz-all here....." Neigh brother Pat, neigh.

Pat did however put our curiosity at rest one and for all in the question that had been burning since we purchased our home a year ago (today)...what IS that weird box at the bottom of the stairs.  A tap here - a chisel there....



Plaster rains down....


and now in bigger pieces....."you can patch this hole....right Pat?"



these handtools just arent cutting through.......



DRUMROLL PLEASE.....I can now reveal what was sealed in this box, for perhaps the last billion years...duh - duh - duh - da DA DAAAAAA.....



Insulation and a load bearing beam.  Damnit.  No lost treasure from the civil war, no long forgotten jewels, unless you call insulation a treasure because this box is stuffed to the gunnels with it.  I had hoped to make our riches from the contents of this box or at the very least have enough in there to finance the purchase of the teacup pig Barron Von Snout that i have so yearned for.  Sadly readers there will be no pig purchases, there will not even be a fond farewell to the box - it must remain there (in the place of what would have been a lovely pendant light).

Onward though, Pat patched all the walls, they are now ready for painting this week.  While he and Mr Big where working I made soup for lunch - this was a new receipe which I was semi concerned about but it ended up delicious!  Kale and Chorizo Potato Soup.

Kale is a much maligned veggie - I love the look of it more than anything, specially its afro curliness.



plus - what's not to love about sausages??  Anyone who knows me knows I's a fan of the sausage




Once Pat and Nenna left it was time for our seventeenth thousanth trip to Lowes for paint and the like.  The previous owner was quite fastidious god bless him.  All the paint for the house is clearly labelled so we simply took the old can to Lowes with us for them to make more of the same and to shake the old paint so we could use that too.  We were ably assisted by unnamed painter person who was utterly fasinating to me - wholly and soley because she had the biggest arse I have ever seen and somehow, she had encased it in jeggings.  Aparently the jeans were brand new so it was a sad day when she was hammering the lid shut on the can and our green paint splattered all over her ample derriere and the ground.  NEVER FEAR - water was nearby and she was cleaned up in a jiffy.  We really needed coffee after that harrowing experience and so we headed straight for Starbucks and a grande Americano, whipped cream and one splenda please.  While we were waiting the lifetime it took for them to pull the espresso what should I spy?  HOLIDAY CUPS thats what!



What a complete delight!  The message says "our friends think of us an an odd couple but we only think it's odd when we are apart" sccccchweetles.  What a darling message plus snowflake PLUS a dove PLUS snowiness. Ahhhh - it just made it taste all the better.  Thanks Starbucks!

Oh - I nearly forgot - I wanted to show you one of my favorite things - my raggy rose broach.  I know I look like a crazy woman, I always do when I take my on photo at arms length.  I think that the arms length is part of the issue - my arms are about as long as a penguins.  Nuf said. I present to you awesome rose pin on old navy sweater.  I really should have been wearing lippie in the picture


No comments:

Post a Comment