Friday, July 30, 2010

Finally Friday

I got up full of the joys of Friday, showered, put the makeup on - you know, the usual routine... and then the familiar throbbing in the temples, the little strobing of the light - all of which finally, and unceremonously ended in a mirgrane.  One of the enemies of mirgranes is light, and on a late summer Friday morning with blue sky abounding, the enemy was everywhere...sorry Pemco, I really wanted to be there with you.

The day has worn on, Geneva's out with her friends and its 15 minutes before the hubby comes home, so for now its just me and the dogs and the left overs of this mornings migrane.  I need comfort food for the evening, especially because its family board night night. 

One of the meals the kids like best in mac and cheese - no, not the boxed kind, homemade from scratch mac and cheese (with bacon).  I dont really know where I learnt this receipe, but everyone loves its - maybe your family will too.

Fees Homemade Mac and Cheese
Boil about 6 cups of uncooked macorni elbow in salted water till cooked
Drain well and set aside



In a saucepan heat 1 1/2 sticks of butter, once its all melted and starts to bubble slowly add, teaspoon by teaspoon, plain unbleached flour stirring as you go.  Keep adding flour till you have what resembles a thick batter in the bottom of the pan, stir for another few minutes and slowly add milk a little at a time stirring the whole time till voila! A white sauce.  I actually often use 1/2 and 1/2 (or even cream when I want a really special mac and cheese but today was 2% milk).
To the white sauce add 3-4 cups of cheese - today I used cheddar, but I like to use 3 different cheeses usually - sharp cheddar, mozzarella (for the strings) and parmesan (for the super cheese flavor).  Season well to taste. 



Snip bacon into small pieces and fry with no oil till crisp, add to cheese sauce - add this to the pasta.
At this point its your choice - you can serve it right away, or pour into a shallow casserole dish and top with breadcrumbs and more cheese and bake till golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment